Hi friends, Cornelius here!
Thanks for coming back to read another one of my blogs. Today I will be answering everybody’s important questions about poisonous snakes and biting.
As I’m sure you’re glad to hear, corn snakes like myself are generally friendly! Many people like to ask if I bite and if I am poisonous. The good news is that I’ve never bitten any of my human friends (mice don’t count!). I much prefer to hang out in their pockets!
All in all, this question is a bit of a snake pet peeve of mine! If an animal is venomous, it means that you will get sick if it bites you. If an animal (or plant) is poisonous, it means that you will get sick if YOU bite it! Luckily for my friends, I’m neither venomous OR poisonous.
You may be wondering, why are animals venomous or poisonous? Let me give you a few examples from my friends in the park.
Spiders are venomous; they unleash venom when hunting to kill their prey before they eat it.
Eastern American Toads are poisonous; they release their toxins through glands on their heads. They do this to scare off any potential predators. While their poison is not lethal, if a dog or cat licks one of these toads or picks it up, they might experience drooling and vomiting. I advise keeping your cats and dogs away from them! Luckily for humans, all you’d need to do is wash your hands after touching one and you’ll be good.
Thanks for reading my blog! Stay tuned for more posts. See you at the Grist Mill!